It’s very important to shut down the octane testing engine properly, after octane testing. In order not to affect the next use, we suggest the following steps to shut down the octane testing engine:
1. Position the fuel selector valve between any two marks so that fuel no longer enters the carburetor venturi.
2. Position the octane engine ignition switch to OFF.
3. Position the intake air heater, and if applicable, the mixture manifold heater switches to OFF.
4. Positions the start switch to OFF and let the engine come to a stop.
5. Using flywheel handle inserted through the engine crankshaft guard, manually turn the engine crankshaft to position the piston at TDC on the compression stroke to seal the combustion chamber and prevent any corrosive action or war-page that can occur if the valves are left open.
6. Drain all fuel into a suitable waste container by opening all carburetor sight glass drain valves.
7. Remove any waste fuel collection containers from the engine area to a safe storage facility.
8. Turn off the main valve of the cooling water system that supplies cooling water to the coolant condenser.
9. Turn the power switch of the intake air refrigeration unit to OFF.
10. Adjust the cylinder height to a lower C.R.
NOTE: Setting the cylinder height to a lower C.R. ensures that when the unit is started the next time, use of a typical warmup fuel will not cause excess knock.
11. Turn the power switch of the octane testing engine to OFF.